View Single Post
Old 22-03-2017, 12:49 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1740 / Power: 11
nono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant futurenono1973 has a brilliant future
Re: Batam Info / Interest / Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Page View Post
Not exactly photomodels, say just average (one is a rather big too) but the affection and happiness they share with me each time really is priceless.
Hehehe...your standard of "just average" is already considerably good-looking from my viewpoint.

Quote:
By the way, this is not the first time I get a blowjob on a taxi, but the other times were in Colombia, where the environment is really totally different.
There are also other places for such quicky beside taxi,hehehe....eg,the cinema?

Quote:
1) First important thing: be INFORMED.
Don't go to a taxi (ok, this is not exactly a taxi, but the same concept applies) and try to "bargain", because you read here that bargaining is important, without knowing WHAT IS THE CORRECT AMOUNT TO PAY. A newbie who tries to bargain a price but does not know what is the amount to pay is a small fish heading direct to jaws of the shark. The newbie MUST know what is the price and say straight "I pay this. Ok?".
Agreed.

For me I always ask the price before boarding 1st but yet I do not ask w/o knowing how much to pay.

Quote:
2) Never ask "how much?" This shows you are not informed => carrot candidate.
Like the above mentioned,i ask 1st. And the 1st sentence that came out from my mouth will always be "How much?" But I am informed of the price to pay beforehand.

Their 1st initial quote will always be higher,like 60k to 70k,some time even 80k. I thank them and walk away. But if their price is 50k? I ask for 30k whereby I will usually end up paying 40k. It is still high but when I pay 40k,i make the taxi run one more point run.

Example,if I pay 30k I will go from Harbour Bay ferry terminal to hotel direct but if I were to pay 40k,i go to Kaha 1st,then to hotel or money changer 1st then to hotel.

30k taxi fare may be tough,but 40k is easy during daytime. Took me just less than 10 secs and simply opening my mouth to ask anyway. If they dont agree,just walk away (unless i am lazy).

Quote:
3) Personally, I think that is even not good to bargain too much. Drivers sustain a family with their work. If I spend 500k on drinks in a pub, I should not be stingy giving 10k more to an ojek or taxi.
Said this, overpaying is "stupid" (in the Cipolla's definition) and wrong. It should be avoided at all cost.
Even when 10k to 20k rupiah extra may mean nothing much to nearly all tourists coming from Singapore ,I am used to not spoiling them. As I have mention before, give them a foot, they will ask for a yard in future. That's their culture.

After surveying at least a hundred taxi drivers over my last 3 years in Batam,i learned that their average income is between S$2000 to S$4000 per month (about S$2k was for beginners who just started). That is a considerably high income in Indonesia,otherwise why would the Indonesian choose this vocation? And the later overwhelming of taxis all over the island.

Just my own personal point of view and from my survey result.

Quote:
When I take a taxi from Harbour Bay, I just tell him (to be sure) "lima puluh" (50k) and I never had a single problem or argument. Sometimes I don't even tell him that. I pay 50k when I arrive (standard fare including tip), after getting off the taxi (when you are out, especially in front of your hotel, the driver has no more power on you to get more money).
Hehehe...they have to clean up the taxi after you spill you beans at the back seat during the bbbj,hehehe...a tip is well-deserved.

Quote:
Never try to pay when you are still inside. The driver may be encouraged to ask more money claiming you did not understand.
I learned that from you. Open the car door,step out of the taxi before making payment (taxi drivers i do not know).

Golden advise indeed.

Quote:
Taxi is more problematic when you want to go back to hotel from a disco with a girl (in most cases, she would not be happy to take an ojek,,,)
Hehehe...if the walk is more than 10 mins,most Indonesian be it guys or girls would be relatively quite reluctant to do. I often keep in mind that most girls with me were much often, in their high heels.

Quote:
BEWARE of a gangster who works as "taxi driver" at Newton. Thug face, on a black car with small blue lights. I had a strong argument with him and I even had to shout at him loudly in front of everyone.
To go from Newton to Formosa he wanted me to pay 70k.
No way. The appropriate price should be 30k for such a short ride, but at night the standard fare is 50k. I told him 50k and he even became aggressive to me demanding "70k lah". I sent him to hell and I found another car for 50k.
The above ,is a clear example of getting a feet and asking for a yard. This guy must have in the past gotten a 70k (maybe more) from bule,hence when he sees you, your forehead already engraved 70k from his viewpoint.

After dark, taxi drivers were lesser, less competition ,therefore the price is a little higher (harder to bargain too). For safety and convenient reasons, i do not mind paying 50k,but I still try to make it to 40k,just not as persistent as during the daytime.

Quote:
My advice is just: don't be intimidated. If you know what is the price, pay that price and nothing more. The shark looks for small fishes. If the fish is not so passive, the shark will stop the attack and will chase another one.
Raising my 2 hands to agree with you on the above-said.

If price is not right,i bargain downward and if it is still not right...I simply walk away with a smile.

Basic Batam Info in One Link

Avoid quoting the whole post if you are replying to me in the thread

信言不美,美言不信。
善者不辩,辩者不善。
知者不博,博者不知。
圣人不积,既以为人己愈有,既以与人己愈多。
天之道,利而不害。
圣人之道,为而不争。

My December 2019 Batam Trip Info